Featured Post

There's No Place Like Home

Home Security In The (Crazy) Modern World by Eric Power Since October, I've been working for a major package delivery company in t...

Sunday, April 13, 2014

We Interrupt This Regularly Scheduled Programming...

A Throwback Article


***So literally 3 days after I launch the blog, I received some life-altering news that has completely turned my family's whole world upside down; and not in a good way, I might add. So, as you might imagine, blogging has really been just about the last thing on my mind. Whenever I attempt to sit down and pound something out on the keyboard, I slam straight into the impassable wall - WRITER'S BLOCK. It's a thousand feet tall and made of Adamantium (for all of you Wolverine fans out there). I hope, someday, to actually use my love of writing to assist me in my therapy and healing; unfortunately, that time has not yet come. Until it does, I hope it may suffice to post some past articles that I have written, mainly for Facebook. For the time being, until I put some semblance of my world back together, I hope these articles (somewhat beefed up to make them more blog-worthy) will give you some reading enjoyment! Please pray for my family and me as we work through this difficult time. Thank you!***

 This particular piece that I wrote was in response to an actual news story! The University of Colorado Springs had posted some rape defense tips which had come to be noticed during the gun control debates that occurred last year, after the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary that was responsible for 26 senseless, awful murders. The University defended these tips as a last resort method when all other tactics have failed. I'm not sure what they are referring to with "all other tactics". It's peculiar, though, that they left out the ONE strategy that would be the most effective deterrent to a rapist: a GUN.

**************************************************************************

These are some actual helpful tips from the University of Colorado
Springs for women facing a possible rapist. These people are so smart it's no wonder they are college administrators. I feel so dumb in their presence. I've added my own highly uneducated responses after the tip.


1. Be realistic about your ability to protect yourself. - Well silly me, I would say to pack a pistol. I think that's realistic. I imagine most, maybe even all, rapists would not enjoy facing a "victim" who had the ability to blow his head off, or any other body part for that matter.

2. Your instinct may be to scream - go ahead!  It may startle your attacker and give you an opportunity to run away. - This bit reminds me of the sadistic movie psycho who says to his victim, "Go ahead. Scream!!  It won't help." Again, I would advise a lady to just let her 9mm do the screaming for her.

3. Kick off your shoes if you have time and can’t run in them. - Really? I've got a much better idea: you can stand your ground and squeeze the trigger.

4. Don’t take time to look back; just get away. - Also, don't fall down and whatever you do, don't go into the basement...Hey aren't these some of the Horror Movie Rules?  They should be charged with plagiarism...

5. If your life is in danger, passive resistance may be your best defense. - Huh?!  "Okay, I'm going to put flowers in your hair and flash the peace sign in the hopes that you stop raping me. Maybe someone could organize a candlelight vigil!"  Hey, problem solved!


6. Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating. - I don't really see a menstruation threat as a deterrent to rape since it isn't a crime of sex but a crime of violence. A rapist's motivation is on a different wavelength from a husband/boyfriend who wants to get lucky. Forgive my crudeness, but if you rape someone, then they tend to bleed anyway.  He doesn't care that he's violating someone in the worst possible way; a little blood isn't going to dissuade him. In fact, he may even like that. The disease excuse has been used to some varying success; but imagine showing him your Glock instead of a baseless threat such as gonorrhea.  The gun (and all of those bullets!) will have a very real and immediate effect on his body and the situation; a fictitious disease may cause him to get tested--you, however, have most likely still been raped.

7. Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone. - Vomiting on command is not really something I've mastered in my time. I'm not absolutely sure, but I would imagine that it's hard to relax enough to pee while you're being sexually assaulted.  Hose him with lead instead; it will work much better.

8. Yelling, hitting or biting may give you a chance to escape, do it! - They ACTUALLY get to number EIGHT before they even suggest a physical attack of some sort! But the next "tip" might make you hesitate to use this one.

9. Understand that some actions on YOUR (emphasis mine) part might lead to more harm. - This is STUNNING. So I guess, at that point, they deserve what they get, right? "Hey your Honor, she bit me as I tried to rape her; that's uncalled for! Of course I had to kill her!"



10. Remember, every emergency situation is different.  Only you can decide which action is most appropriate.  - Well thank you for that bit of advice.  I've decided to arm myself lawfully and exercise my God-given natural right to defend myself.  I think it's appropriate. It's the advice I give to my wife and it's the advice I'll give to my daughter when she is of age. But those who live on and/or utilize a college campus are not given that right. They are restricted to using any of the above "tips", or having a "rape whistle". And, of course, hoping that the police do the protecting for them. I have said before -- I am a firm believer in the first responder theory. Whereas the authorities believe that the Police and Emergency units are the first responders, I think We the People are the ones who are the first on the scene.  If we are being attacked,
we respond!  If a stranger has a heart attack in the restaurant, we give CPR (if one is trained, that is). WE don't wait around hoping someone shows up to do the saving for us.  If we want to be saved, then step up and save yourself.  Let the police show up to the scene for the mop-up and paperwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment